Prep is here to help! 

Once you have an idea in mind we want to help you grow and develop that concept. 

To start, you will have to get licensed by one of two companies... Deschutes County Health Services or Oregon Department of Agriculture. 

If you are looking to open a restaurant, catering business, food truck or cart you would be working with Deschutes County. 

And, if you have a product that you want to sell wholesale in retail stores and businesses you would be working with Oregon Department of Agriculture. Anything that would be considered a packaged item for sale to the public. This also includes beverage items. 

Tim Foley - Deschutes County Environmental Services;   

Main point of contact for Food Trucks. 

Phone: 541-322-7400 


Adrea Lovejoy - Deschutes County Environmental Services; Main point of contact for Restaurants & Events. 

Phone: 541-322-7400 


Jon Harrang - Department of Agriculture;

Main point of contact for packaged goods for resale. 

Phone: 541-923-0754


Any food related job in Oregon requires that you obtain an Oregon Food Handlers Certification. This is a quick and easy test that can be done online in a matter of minutes. The cost is less than $20 and just verifies that you have a basic understanding of food health standards and regulations. Here are a few websites where you can receive your certification: 

An ORLA Serv-Safe Certification is not required at Prep, but does provide an in depth and detailed understanding of the health and safety standards of Oregon. Most manager positions require this 1 day class to be taken and may be paid for by the employer. The link to register for this class is below: 

Prep does require each of our clients to carry business insurance. You will have to add Prep -A Chefs' Kitchen as additionally insured, to your business liability insurance. You can typically use any company that you would use for your car or house.  But, FLIP or FOOD LIABILITY INSURANCE PROGAM - is also a great option, who works primarily with customers in the food & beverage industry. 

If you are working on menu development for your restaurant, or renovating your current brick and mortar you can still rent out the Prep kitchen. We would just need a copy of your Environmental Health Services License on file.  

Virtual Restaurant is a new coined term meaning "delivery-only restaurant". You may be able to execute this concept out of our space with sites such as EXPLORETOCK.COM which emphasizes pre-orders, or GETBENTO.COM which is geared towards day of service. There are multiple delivery sources as well, but you must be cautious of their high fees. 

You have a great concept... Now what? 

Food Cart
Grocery Shopping with Mask
Boxed Food
Image by Jonathan Sanchez